Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The end doesn't justify the means!

That's what my wife aid to me after I posed the question, "Why didn't you do Computer Science instead of Information Systems?" After reading the article by DePalma, "Why Women Avoid Computer Science," I decided to ask her first before forming an opinion.

"The end doesn't justify the means!"

She explained the fear of the dreaded computer science major in a few different areas. First the area of the insane difficulty of the classes mostly because of time considerations. Second, she expressed her fear of a high stress, over worked career. Third she said after taking Computer Science 142, which is an introduction to programming class, she felt overwhelmed.


I think few would argue that computer science is a hard major just like most engineering fields. What might separate it is the large amount of personal lab work needed to become a competent programmer. This can get very frustrating and boring when small bugs or errors in a pass/fail lab can hold you back for hours. If you want an A on a lab it might take you 3-6 hours one week and 9-12 the next week. This ambiguity often surprises students and makes it difficult to take multiple programing classes concurrently.

Carolyn Wall, my wife, admitted she doesn't know anyone with the terrible career and stress driven job. I asked why she felt so many programmers might be facing this very negative future. She admitted, "That's just what you hear." This article is aimed at showing why the women avoid computer science, not if their feelings are true. So, we will move on without discussing the validity of the fear of a bad job.

Third, to be overwhelmed means to feel smaller than the task at hand. In Cari's computer fears, she is overwhelmed by the small culture surrounding computer science. She achieved an A in the class but admits she still felt competently foreign to the operating system, alt commands, and jargon of the community. Maybe this stems from most programmers spending large amounts of time outside school to program for fun or work. A simple student trying to compete in the field without dedicating their entire life might very well feel "overwhelmed." After all, how many students study biology for fun or play or try and tinker with history time lines.

1 comment:

rethinking 1776 said...

dear friend, I see you have not posted since 2007. I hope you are well. Maybe you stepped back from the internet immersion that you spoke of in your last post. That's good. Good insight on the addiction aspect. I hope I can get my daughter to read your post. About women in computer science careers: One thing about women is that we are not quite as macho as men; at least not yet. I remember when I watched the PBS documentary on a group of women climbing Mt. Everest and one or more women at one point looked at the new developments in her/their situation and decided that in spite of all that investment in money, time, life, that it was time to let go of the goal of making it to the top of Everest, at least that year. That willingness to back down and be realistic about what one is willing to do- that can be a good thing! Please forgive me for taking a different view than you. I had wanted to write here to encourage you. You seem quite thoughtful. I hope (there's that word again) the best for you. God bless you and yours. Joan Mazzu